We know that for children to receive quality care and early learning that suits their individual needs, parents/carers and staff need to work together in a close partnership. We recognise that parents/carers play the fundamental role in a child’s development as their first educators of their young children and our aim is always to support their role.
The two-way sharing of information is key to this. The nursery team welcomes parents as partners and this relationship needs to be built on trust and understanding. It is important that we, as practitioners, are able to support parents in an open and sensitive manner.
We aim to:
· Recognise and support parents as their child’s first and most important educators, and to welcome them into the life of the nursery.
· Work towards all parents being signed up to our Target Tracker app where they can view observations and comment. We encourage parents to add their own observations to children’s learning journeys using the sheets at the front door.
· Encourage parents to share information about the development of their child using the ‘What to expect document.’
· Be available daily for informal discussions.
· Support parents in their own continuing education and personal development and inform them of relevant workshops and training.
· Operate a key person system to enable a close working relationship with all parents. Support two-way information sharing regarding each child’s individual needs both in nursery and at home
· Inform parents on a regular basis about their child’s progress and involve them in the shared record keeping.
· Provide opportunities for parents to learn about the Early years foundation Stage (EYFS) and about young children’s learning in the nursery and at home.
· Respect the family’s religious and cultural backgrounds and beliefs and to accommodate any special requirements wherever possible and practical to do so.